Saturday, February 20, 2016

Week 5: Connected Speech

This week my focus is on the connected speech. What is connected speech? When we speak, we do not pronounce one word, stop, and then continue by pronouncing another word. Instead, we are trying to pronounce the words in a way that they flow from one to another. As a result, there may be a connection between the end of a word with the beginning of the next word, which sometimes may result in the changing of the sound. 

I listened to my archetype many times and focus my attention on the sound ending of each word and how it connects with the sound from the next word. Then, I noted my listening on the form of IPA transcription. I also highlighted the connected speech that I found and took notes. Here is the transcription:

notes on the highlights:
Green: consonant to vowel linking
Turquoise: vowel to vowel linking
Yellow: contraction
Pink: linking 'r'
Dark blue: sound changing or deletion

So, the first connected speech that I notice and the most common one is the consonant to vowel linking. This kind of connection occurs in most accents of English. From the IPA transcription above, I notice that this kind of connection occur when the following words are unstressed function words. From the archetype, the examples are was a, at an, in a, start a, and strut around. This is the most noticeable words linking in English. For this type of connected speech, I also notice that when the word has two-consonant cluster at the end, the last consonant sound is pronounced as part of the following word as in district of which is pronounced as /dɪstrɪkt͜əf/, and picked up which is pronounced as /pɪkt͜up/as if the /t/ is part of the /əf/. 

The second connected speech that I also notice is the vowel and vowel linking. I guess this kind of linking is also common in all accent of English. It occurs when certain vowels come next to each other. Usually, another sound is added to make the speech smoother. In the archetype I found this type of linking in the animal in which the sound /y/ is added between the two vowels to make it smoother. Thus, the pronunciation of these two words together become /θi͜yenɪməl/. Other examples that can be found in the archetype are see it and the office

I also found in my archetype, even though only one example, a contraction. The phrase who had been working is pronounced /huː͜d bɪn wɜːkŋ/contracting who and had to become like one word. 

Another way to connect speech that I noticed in the archetype is the linking 'r.' I have noted in my previous blog post on consonant that normally /r/ sound is not pronounced in Received Pronunciation when it occur after a vowel at the end of a word. However, I noticed from my archetype that the /r/ sound is pronounced as /ɹ/ (r tap). I only found one example of this kind of connected speech that is is the letter implied which is pronounced as /θə lətəɹ͜ɪmplaɪd/. 

Another connected speech that I notice is the changing of the sound when a word ends in a consonant sound and the following word begins with a consonant sound too, depending on the particular sound, the first or the second consonant sound may be change in order to anticipate the production of the following consonant. The example that I found in the archetype is in implied that. The consonant 
/θ/ in the word that is changed into /d/ continuing the production of implied since it is smoother that moving from voiced alveolar stop /d/ to voiceless dental fricative /θ/. For this case, I also noticed that the voicing is lesser because the following word is an unstressed function word that. The same case also occur in the phrase mouth disease in that the voiceless dental fricative /θ/ sound is changed into /d/ in anticipation of the voiced alveolar stop /d/ in disease.   

Afterward, I tried to record myself several times to see my progress. Even though I have the IPA transcription with all the necessary notation that can help me in my recording this time, it is still quite challenging for me to always assure that the words are flowing, and still sound natural. However, through more and more practice, I am sure that I can be better. Here is my recording for this week:



For next week, I will work on stress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment